Outreach & Service
Our Social Justice Committee meets quarterly to discuss our parish involvement with other non-profits in the area. The meetings are open to any interested parishioners.
Please look for opportunities to join in these Outreach programs:
- Family Promise: Quarterly, OLPH assists families in need of temporary housing, who are staying at the Family Promise townhouse in Roanoke. We are in need of volunteers to assist in preparing a dinner, purchase of breakfast foods for the week, and acquiring gift cards for groceries for our families. The Family Promise webpage
- Respect Life: OLPH sponsors a bus to the March for Life in January. Each fall, our parish assists with the 40 Days for Life campaign in Roanoke. Quarterly, you'll find a cradle in the Commons where you can donate baby clothes, food, and other items for mothers in crisis pregnancies.
- St. Francis House: Each month, please pick up a paper bag with a list of suggested food donations. Bring it back filled, and we will get it to St. Francis House for distribution to the poor.
- Haiti: We have been twinned with a parish in Haiti for over 20 years and supported the local community in providing educational and medical opportunities. Please see Tom Fame for more info on how you can help, and how you can go visit Haiti and see the progress yourself. For more information, see OLPH Haiti Project.
- Legislative Advocacy: Sign up through the Virginia Catholic Conference Advocacy Network to receive e-mail updates about how our faith intersects with Virginia law.